Those os us who happen to be in a car accident for the first time might not know what to do, but more importantly what not to do after an accident. There are some obvious things to do such as contacting a car accident attorney, but do you know know what you shouldn’t do? Here are only some examples.
1. Don’t leave the area where the accident took place unless you are in need of medical attention that justifies doing so. Wait for the police to arrive and then in a calm and responsible manner answer all the questions regarding the accident they might have.
2. Don’t admit any fault. After all, you might not be aware of all the details of the accidents and you might not be the one to blame for it. Just answer all the questions as they are without judging you or the other party.
3. Don’t talk to the other people involved in the accident unless they are injured and offering them help might be the right thing to do. More importantly, don’t engage in any type of conversation that can lead to angry arguments. Remember to never give in. Even if they talk to you, you are not required to listen and ignoring them is a right you have.
4. Don’t talk to the insurance company of the other party (unless you want to handle your property damage claim). Don’t tell them any details, don’t tell them your name, etc. You don’t have any obligation to disclose any information about you and your car.
5. Don’t share any information with the other party such as their social media information for example. They might use it the wrong way causing you a lot of harm. The rule of thumb is not to trust anybody with anything.
6. Don’t wait too long before you seek medical attention. Even if you feel fine you might have suffered injuries you might not be aware of. Get yourself checked within a day or two after the accident because the longer you wait the worse it can get.